Designer | Felix Pfäffli

Thursday, September 11, 2014


During my train journey yesterday from Uni to Aberdeen to meet Darren I was in the midst of reading the copy of Computer Arts that I picked up last week. While reading it, there was one article that caught my eye titled Poster Child. It was basically a feature about the graphic designer Felix Pfäffli, speaking about his design work, mainly his poster designs. 






All designs/image are sourced from Feixen.ch
What intrigued me about this article was the emphasis on Poster designs. If you've read this blog for a while you will probably know that print design is what I want to do in the future, so this article was right down my street. I always truly enjoy reading about peoples process of design and how they get to their final outcome. 

However, what stuck with me most about this article wasn't the fact that the process was great, or the designs were brilliant or the photos were nice. No. What made it stick with me for the past 18 hours is the fact that Pfäffli doesn't restrict himself to one type or style of design. 

As an aspiring designer, I'm always reading pieces along the lines of "you need to have a certain design style in order for people to remember your work". But since studying design I haven't done so. I've obviously had some similarities with projects such as colour and type but in the end I have different styles dependent on the different brief and needs of the client. So to read that someone else does this and is successful in their work makes me feel like there is possible hope for me too. 

This kind of post probably isn't for everybody but it was something I needed to talk about, not for someone else but for myself. I'm always bogged down by the expectations that you need to have this 'style' and it does set me back in terms of ideas and plans for things I want to do. 

Saying that, I've really enjoyed writing this post and my recent inspirations post this week so I think they'll definitely become more prominent on this blog. I hope you like Pfäffli's work as much as I do. If you fancy having more of a look then you can see them on Feixen, his studio website.

You Might Also Like

10 comments

  1. I'm the same! In my recent projects, all my ceramics were different styles while the other students seem to have a set style they were working in. Great post, Lauren!

    Caitlin | Thistle & Tea

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah there's nothing more nerve wracking (?) than seeing other students having a same style throughout projects!

      Delete
  2. I think this kind of thinking can be applied to a lot of things, even in blogging you're so often told to stick to a "niche" but I love it when I see a variety from a person. No one will love absolutely everything that you do but it's so fun to experiment with new styles in so many different aspects of life x

    Charlotte / coloursandcarousels

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! I think when you do try to restrict yourself to a 'niche' or a 'style' it does restrict your thinking too. Meaning you might not produce something that could have been amazing! x

      Delete
  3. Great post! At uni we were always taught to not have too much of a style when you're just starting out. When you start working for clients, they won't necessarily want it 'in your style', and its important to be able to adapt really easily between styles.
    Infact.. I might make a post on this in the near future! (only started blogging a week a go and its taking a while to find other creatives!)

    Another Coffee Shot - Graphic Design and Lifestyle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I have to say throughout College they didn't say much about if it was a good thing or a bad thing, just kind of left us to it! I would love to read about your take on it too! I'll also send you some other creative bloggers if you like :)

      Delete

.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...