An Insight Into OhHay

Friday, September 19, 2014


Recently I've been thinking about myself as a designer, which has been a thought on my mind since adding my about page and even more so from last week when I spoke about Felix Pfaffli's designs. I've kind of realised that I've never spoken about how I got into and why I wanted to become a designer. 


It sounds quite cliched but I think I have always wanted to become a designer or illustrator. When I was a child I would spend my free time (and school time) doodling away and looking through different art books. During my childhood my Granda always asked me if I would go study at Gray School of Art. In the end I haven't studied there but it's still a route I have gone down. 

Throughout my later Primary School years the concept of jobs were starting to be thrown out there and we had been asked what we would like to do. I remember illustrating book covers was a very prominent choice for me but there was a point when I wanted to be a Disney Float Designer.

In Secondary School I ended up finding out about Graphic Design during a PSE lessons in 2nd Year. We had to complete a questionnaire which gave a selection of jobs that would suit you most based on your answers. The selection that came up from my answers were very much art/design orientated with Interior Design, Art Teacher and Graphic Designer being up at the top. After doing some research into the different jobs that popped up I knew Graphic Design was for me!

The next 3 and a half years of my life at Secondary School I studied subjects that would help me study Graphic Design. Although I had hoped to go to University after 5th year, with Grades that weren't great I ended up going into College for two years which has lead me to where I am now. 

I have to say I am really lucky knowing what type of job I have wanted to do since that age as there is people still stuck in their 20's and later.. I'm also especially lucky that my parents have also been supportive of me wanting to pursue Graphic Design. 

What job did you want to do when you were younger?

You Might Also Like

6 comments

  1. That's amazing, I am so glad your parents have been supportive sometimes they react in the strangest ways about anything and everything?! I still have no clue actually! xxx




    Blonde of carbs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah definitely! I've heard lots of stories of parents who weren't accepting of their children pursuing creative jobs/courses at uni like graphic design, art etc... I'm sure you'll decided soon enough! xxx

      Delete
  2. I used to always want to be a nurse after I was in hospital with Meningitis as a little kid, but turns out I was suuuuuuper crappy at sciences and stuff! I loved reading this, I might write my own!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw yeah :/ I think a lot of people are like that- want to get into some sort of medicine/care type thing but then they realise they are either a) scared of the human body like blood etc b) can't/don't understand the subjects that they need to study or c) both

      Delete
  3. I'm not too sure what I wanted to be when I was younger, probably the clichéd pop star :P But all through secondary I was passionate about becoming an architect. It was only in my final year of school that I realised Multimedia in uni was ideal for me :D I do alot of graphic design modules in uni now. Using photoshop, illustrator and so on and I love it :D I also do web desgin (I find this quite boring, but very handy skill!!) and photography/filming. I'm quite like you in the arty & creative way, always doodling :D Lovely post, It really does sound like the ideal career for you :)

    Sinead x
    http://thetravelbibleblog.blogspot.ie/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah cliched pop star is very popular! Web design can be quite dull tbh! But it depends what aspects of it you're doing, if it's all the coding and such it definitely is whereas if you're using WYSIWYG software it's not too bad and you can concentrate on the actual design. x

      Delete

.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...