Book Review | Severed Heads, Broken Hearts

Saturday, September 20, 2014


Over the past few months I've really not been in the 'bookworming game' as I have literally only finished two books over the Summer. One of which, I started and finished this week. This book was Severed Head, Broken Hearts by Robyn Schneider. Although for some reason the title has now changed to The Beginning of Everything.


Golden boy Ezra Faulkner believes everyone has a tragedy waiting for them—a single encounter after which everything that really matters will happen. His particular tragedy waited until he was primed to lose it all: in one spectacular night, a reckless driver shatters Ezra’s knee, his athletic career, and his social life.

No longer a front-runner for Homecoming King, Ezra finds himself at the table of misfits, where he encounters new girl Cassidy Thorpe. Cassidy is unlike anyone Ezra’s ever met, achingly effortless, fiercely intelligent, and determined to bring Ezra along on her endless adventures. 

But as Ezra dives into his new studies, new friendships, and new love, he learns that some people, like books, are easy to misread. And now he must consider: if one’s singular tragedy has already hit and everything after it has mattered quite a bit, what happens when more misfortune strikes?

The reason I feel that I wizzed through this book so quickly is that it was a pretty easy ready. The book is 335 pages long and I am honestly surprised I managed to get through it in about two days or so. The story and language used in the book I felt was quite similar to the likes of John Green, especially Looking for Alaska. It also follows the very popular and cliched story line of boy meets girl, boy falls for girl and then the rest of the ups and lows. 

A lot of the book I felt was quite predictable. I was more or less able to work out what had happened with a few instances with others not being very far of. With a lot of books, I tend to get bored when this happens but that wasn't the case with this book. I was so intrigued to find out whether Ezra would go back to his tennis player days and what had actually happened to certain characters and a few other things I won't mention. 

Overall, I would give this book a 3.5 out of 5. This book would be perfect for those who do enjoy the likes of John Green and love Young Adult - coming of age genres. I think it's also a great book to read if you need a quick fix to get you back into a reading habit.
If you have read this before, what did you think about it and what books have you felt are 'easy reads'? 

You Might Also Like

6 comments

  1. Ah same, I actually read a whole ton in the summer, but now that summer has ended, I've only read one...so I'm trying to get back to reading more (currently on game of thrones).

    http://happydayscalilife.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Game of thrones is one book I'd love to read but I really need to get through the rest of the ones I have first! Hope you get back into the reading habit!

      Delete
  2. I haven't heard of it before but when I am doing my english course sometimes I really like to read something easy going and not too heavy so I will add this to a chilled list! xxx




    Blonde of carbs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's definitely a good chill out book with a good grip! xxx

      Delete
  3. Sounds like a very good book!

    ReplyDelete

.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...