Spend your travel time wisely

Wednesday, August 06, 2014


For the past 2 years I have been an avid train rider with travelling at least 4 times a week with journeys usually lasting about 20/25minutes. During this time I have found some ways to keep myself well occupied with them also benefiting me in the long run. With that, I felt I would share some of the things I do while on the train that might help your commuting time be that little bit more beneficial. 

Catch up on reading
This has to be one of my main things to do while travelling but it is broken down into three parts which are: books, magazines/newspapers and blogs. As of recently, I've definitely got through the majority of a book during my travel time. Doing this means I always have a little bit of time every few days to spend reading if I can't fit it in at home. Magazines tend to follow the same idea as books. However, before I properly read one I quickly flick through it seeing which articles will be most interesting to me, train times are perfect for this as it means I won't really get fully into a story. Now my favourite one, blog reading. If you already use bloglovin you will know it's a great device to use for catching up on the blogs you love. Instead of having to scroll through all the posts uploaded that day -which can sometimes be up to 200 posts- during my travel time I can leave the ones I want to read and comment on when I'm back home.

Plan
If you are like me and you like to have a general plan in place then travel times can be perfect for it. You can plan things from what you have to do that day to what your going to post/photograph for your blog. Usually with these I will note these down in a notebook and try plan when it's best to do certain things.

Play a game
Whether it's playing Candy Crush, 2048, DOTS or whatever new crazed game is out at that particular moment you can use your time playing these. While this might not be the most productive thing on this list, nothing feels better than completing that level you have been stuck on for ages or getting a new high score!

Get creative
Obviously you can't do a full on watercolour painting on a train but what you can do is some quick sketches to get your juices flowing, work on that idea you've had in your sketchbook for weeks or even just do some colouring in. During my initial sketching stages at college, I used to pull my sketchbook out on the train to get those lightbulb moments down onto paper. Or you could do what I did yesterday on the train and take your camera with you. The route my train takes is absolutely beautiful with passing several different fields, cliffs and woodland areas. You can just look at my Instagram and see this.

What do you like using your travel time for? 

You Might Also Like

12 comments

  1. Ah I love the Dots game! I usually use my travel time to catch up on reading too, or listen to some new music x

    Charlotte / coloursandcarousels

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's such an addicting game, I've even got my mum into it! I love listening to new music too but my iPods been dead for months and always forget to charge it!

      Delete
  2. Train travel is great for reading, actually train travel is my favorite way of commuting, I find it so relaxing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here! I love it, watching all the scenery go by is beautiful!

      Delete
  3. I love reading on the train, and catching up on blogs. On long journeys I try and do some work on my laptop where I can't get distracted by the internet.
    Emma x
    Writing Essays With Wine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah that's a good idea too! Might start doing that when I start going to Uni in Dundee. x

      Delete
  4. I commute a crazy amount at the moment - about 3 hours a day! I have gotten through a whole heap of books but I do also like to plan my week including my food, I'm learning French with the Duolingo app on my phone and listen to a few podcasts! x

    Jasmin Charlotte

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh wow you are definitely organised for your journeys then! That's really interesting learning a language while travelling though! x

      Delete
  5. As a frequent commuter, I do all of the above on my travels. My kindle has saved my life as it cuts down 1/2 the crap I used to haul around on journeys looool. It's a book, TV, cinema & game station all in one!!

    BLEURGH - http://www.bleurghnow.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's pretty awesome! But I have to say I don't think I'll ever be converted to using a kindle.

      Delete
  6. I crochet on the bus, catch up on my blogs, instagram, tweet and plan ideas in a gorgeous little notebook which usually sends me looking on Pinterest.

    ReplyDelete

.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...