Print Isn't Dead

Friday, August 22, 2014


Recently, the debate of whether print is or isn't dead seems to be taking centre stage. I've been considering writing on this topic for a while now but after reading GraphiqueFantastique post about her recent trip to the People of Print magazine launch: Print Isn't Dead, I thought now would be a perfect time to.  


Being someone who has always loved the printed word and had countless magazine subscriptions since the age of 7, I have truly loved the feel of holding them in your hands. Before I started studying graphic design I knew I would love to be able to get involved in print design world, whether that was for newspapers, magazines, CD album art work or book sleeves. With advances in technology I do sometimes worry that these dreams may wither away but I know that for at least the new few years I still have the chance of experimenting with print and (hopefully) getting experience in the printing world. 


However, most recently Company magazine have announced that they will be releasing their magazine as digital editions only. After hearing this over twitter and through a few blogs I was devastated! Although I've not been one to pick up each and every copy, I have felt that Company has been a great connection between the blogging/vlogging community to real life journalism. I also love how much design and illustration goes into Company, compared to magazines that are similar in content to it. With this change, will that mean that the emphasis on design and illustration through the magazines will be lost? I hope not. I hope that bridge between bloggers and journalism, and between writing and creativity doesn't get lost or broken through the change.

To me, nothing will ever be able to replace or replicate the feel and excitement of being able to pick up a piece of print design. Discovering a new book or magazine in the shops. That undeniable strong sent of printed pieces. The different textures and feel of paper used to put it all together. Those things, to me, make the experience of reading a book or magazine. Being able to flick through the lyric book and try to sing along to those new songs on that new album by your favourite band. Scribbling little notes down and doing the puzzles in the newspapers. To me that is why I love print. And to me that is why I don't think print will ever be dead. 

You Might Also Like

11 comments

  1. I'm so gutted about company too, they're always so aesthetically pleasing

    whatkatiewatched.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am gutted about magazines that go online, even things like BBC 3 going online and I know it's not print but what the hell is going on?! I like to curl up with a nice mag or paperback book not a kindle or an ipad :( xxx

    Blonde of Carbs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know it's kind of crazy! It seems like everybody and everything seems to think that their content needs to be online only which is so untrue!

      Delete
  3. Thanks for the mention - I'm totally with you on the Company magazine feelings! I really hope that print is able to survive the test of time because there is nothing quite like the smell of a freshly printed poster/book/magazine :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No worries! You really did help inspire this post. Nothing can compare to it.

      Delete
  4. I personally think history repeats itself (much like vintage trends being very in now). I think print will stick around one way or another but I definitely agree digital format is far more popular now and reduces cost. It's a shame because I like nothing more than reading a print magazine on the train, the feeling of the paper and the whole experience is so much better than reading it on screen. Great post thanks for sharing this.

    Christina @ http://www.lifeandluxe.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely agree with that. Like who would have thought a few years ago that vinyls would be all the range again? I love reading it on the train to, it's so great! And no worries.

      Delete
  5. It really is! I love print, it has so many more uses after being used for it's primary reason. There are a bunch of amazing magazines apart from Company though that you should check out! :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love my e-reader for convenience and transportation. For example, for the three weeks I spent in America the number of books I read on my e-reader would have taken up ALL my suitcase and beyond. But there is something so lovely about a proper book or magazine- especially a subcription because you get that as a present each month!! Also.. what about free gifts? It's sad that print is gradually going well.. out of print!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah that is one thing bad about books- the space! I usually try and pack 2 in a suitcase and then the rest in my carry-on. The freebies are the best though!

      Delete

.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...