Thoughts // Talking About My Work

Thursday, October 08, 2015

On Monday I had a little bit of an unusual but lovely experiencing with a man on a train. If you read yesterday's Creative Journeys Tag post you would have seen that I said I used to be really self conscious about speaking about my work and stuff but I feel like it's becoming better. And on Monday? I feel like I pushed myself out there a little. 
So anyway, on Monday night when I was travelling home I was drawing in my sketchbook and seemed have misplaced my little paintbrush pictured above. While looking around for it the man sat at the same table as me started asking if I had lost something and gave me a hand to find it- in the end I had actually gone and popped back into my pencil case.

After finding he started asking about my work and what my plans were for the future. It was really lovely to get to speak to a total stranger like this as I don't think it something that really happens all that often nowadays. Plus, it was nice to be complimented on my art work! 

With my experience of actually exhibiting in a non-educational format earlier this year I feel like I'm really starting to make strides in being able to speak more and more about my work and not feel like I need to hide behind some persona. 

Anyway, this is just a bit of a ramble! But I think it's so important to really push yourself, to get your work out there and not be afraid of it! I'm not going to lie either, I think it's so great when people actually spend the time and sit on transport and talk to each other instead of looking at their phones or reading or whatever else it is! I tend to do this a lot so I'm being slightly hypocritical but it's so great to get into a proper conversation with people! 

You Might Also Like

8 comments

  1. I couldn't agree more! it's so good to talk. I think the art of conversation is a bit lost nowadays - what a shame! Glad that you had a good experience. R

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so on line with you! Feel like it doesn't happen so much anymore!

      Delete
  2. It's always fun talking to strangers - especially about life plans because I can pour my doubts and tell them my fears and it doesn't matter because they'll just walk out of my life in a few minutes and I'd feel good for the rest of my day!

    xo,
    www.notyourtypeblog.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha that's so true! And sometimes they actually give helpful advice. It's nice to just be able to chat and let things off your mind though! xo

      Delete
  3. I think when we have to talk to strangers about our work is forces us to discuss our work well, and be able to explain our themes and inspirations.
    Conversations with strangers always seem to be delightful, I miss it :)

    Erin | CD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally agree with this! Pushes you to try and explain your work more in a way that they'll understand which means speaking about your inspirations! You should try and find a way to do it more if you miss it!

      Delete
  4. You have to be self-conscious, and sure about yourself! You you don't believe in your work, how other can? If you accept yourself, love your work, love what you do, people will do the same :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very great words of wisdom- totally agree! :)

      Delete

.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...