Working with a Design Process

Friday, November 21, 2014

Welcome to the first edition of 5 Tips Friday! To start this series of, we're going to start right at the beginning- the design process. The design (or creative) process is really the fundamental for creating a good piece of design. Although you may stray from it slightly, the design process is there for a reason- because it works. 

Design Process infographic from We Design Studios
After reading the inforgraphic above, it will have given you the basic idea of what the design process is. However, not in every situation will the design process actually work for what you're doing. This may be because you're not sure where you want to go or because you don't understand it completely. So with that in mind, here are my 5 tips for getting the most of the design process. 

Rewrite the brief
If you're stuck at the start and not sure how to start the project, look at the brief you have been given and rewrite it! Doing this will help you understand what is actually being asked but possibly, in simpler terms. 

Have good inspiration sources
It's highly unlikely that when you get a brief that the final outcome with be sitting straight in front of you so that means you need to have good inspiration sources. This is literally anything from scouring the web to visiting an exhibition or show. Learning how to take these inspirations and apply them to your work is another topic for a different day but knowing you have somewhere to get inspiration from is key. 

Learn to experiment
My favourite projects I have worked on through College were the ones where I actually experimented loads. If you remember the Calendar I created last year, that formed from doing a bunch of experimentation and pushing myself. The experimentation you do can start from something simple like using different materials to pushing yourself to draw x amount of ideas in x amount of time. Do what works for the project.

Look at the smaller picture
A lot of the time during projects or briefs I tend to try and think about the bigger picture. Don't. Doing this usually ends up meaning you stress yourself out to have a perfect image for a final idea when it won't look like that. If you follow on from experimentation and try and let the work develop organically it'll come together much easier. 

Evaluate your ideas
During the stages of your design process, reflect what you have down and evaluate the ideas you have developed and are going to take further. Make sure they still follow the guidelines that were outlined in both the original brief and your own rewritten one. If you make sure to do this, then you won't get so far down the road and realise you'v done something completely wrong. 

I hope these tips will help aid your design process, if you have any other ideas or tips that work for your design process let me know below. And if you have anything that you would like for me to cover in future weeks let me know about that too!

PS, please vote for OhHay! Blogs in Arts & Culture for the UK Blog Awards 2015 here – it takes a few seconds and would make me an extremely happy blogger!

You Might Also Like

4 comments

  1. I agree looking at the bigger picture sometimes complicates things, and I love experimentation. I really miss doing textiles now I think, going to museums and exhibitions are the best part xxx


    BlondeOfCarbs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It certainly does! Vising different shows, exhibitions and galleries are so fun! xxx

      Delete
  2. I think experimenting is what holds me back in terms of creativity. I always come up with an idea and then am reluctant to change it for the final outcome, but when I do experiment with different ideas I'm always much happier with what I achieve! Also, what font did you use in the top picture? It's so cute!

    Megan // Lazy Thoughts

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can be quite similar too, especially if it is a really visual project to do with illustration! The font is called Happy Fox, it's a free to download font and is literally one of my favourites! x

      Delete

.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...