Uni // Misconceptions in studying Graphic Design {#CrazyRebelliousArt: Day 8}

Sunday, November 08, 2015

For today's #CrazyRebelliousArt topic, it is meant to be about whether you feel people should go to art school to pursue their dreams of say being an artist or designer. But since I'm still in my own education I feel like I'm in a mid point where I can see the good and bad sides of the education although I'm not at a speciality art school. Instead, I'm doing a post that I've been wanting to do for months since reading Charlotte's own about misconceptions about Fashion Management. 
The reason I have been wanting to share my own views on this kind of topic, but about Graphic Design instead of Fashion Management is because there are so many times people honestly get things so wrong about this subject. And some people even think they know everything but when in fact they are miles off!

ARE YOU STUPID?
The first thing that really grinds me the wrong way is when people automatically assume anybody doing Graphic Design or tbh probably anything Creative is that we are not smart or intellectual! It is true that there are quite a number of Graphic Designers that have either Dyslexia, Dyscalculia or both. But in my case and a lot of cases of people I've studied with so far, this is far from the truth! I wouldn't say I am the smartest person ever but I definitely managed pretty well in school with studying Credit level subjects in pretty much every subject- including Maths and English.

YOU DON'T DO EXAMS?! WOW, YOU'RE SO LUCKY!!
Yes I am in the sense lucky that I don't do any exam, the most I've done for a 'test' has been about colour theory or the basics of graphic design and file formats like JPEG's and GIF's. But it's not all sunshine and rainbows for this kind of subject. Instead of doing exams I have to constantly put together a large amount of research, development and final files of design wok into what really needs to be a professional styled body of work. Also, unlike exams, you can't just study or learn what you need to do, it comes from your inspirations, research and general life events! You can easy burn out if you don't keep things going. 

IT'S NOT THAT HARD
Some seem to think that everybody and their mother could easily be graphic designer with the right tools (Adobe Photoshop and Illustrator). But obviously this isn't true. Sure you can have those software's and like many other bloggers, be able to create or design something to use say as a blog header. But just doing this doesn't make you a graphic designer. It's like saying that just cause you fit a tire to your car automatically makes you an engineer. (It doesn't btw.) There is so much that goes into the process and like I said about comparing it to exams, there is so much work that goes into it that it isn't really that simple and easy to do. Especially when you're trying to convey a theme, tone or idea through the work- which is pretty much the point. 

BUT WILL YOU EVEN GET A JOB?
A lot of people seem to think that if you do some sort of creative degree you'll be stuck without a job once you're finished. But this is so untrue! Although it can be hard to get in the door with jobs, especially your dream job. Having your background in something creative, especially something like graphic design where you are visually problem solving it can be very appealing to other types of companies!

I hope you enjoyed my little list of misconceptions! If I think of any more in the future I may share another list. In the mean time let me know below some of the misconceptions about your hobbies/industry you're in! 

You Might Also Like

10 comments

  1. Yes, yes, yes and YES. Many of the people I have met and who have taught me are honestly some of the most intelligent and passionate people I have ever met. Also - "ah so you, like, just make posters?"...

    Sophie | www.dreamsandcolourschemes.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally agree with that! The passion that drives some of the creative people I know is insane! I love being around people like that, they just bring out the best in you. I don't think I've had the poster thing, maybe more just "oh so you do logos?".

      Delete
  2. Hey, thanks for the lovely chat on FB today.
    It was really interesting to see your list of misconceptions about studying graphic design. I've been working as a graphic designer for the past 10 years, but my educational background was quite different. First, I studied in my home country where the education system is apparently very different from this one in the UK. Secondly, I studied Computer Science and I had exams. Gosh, I had 13 different mathematics!! I don't even remember their names any more. I was meant to become a programmer of some sorts, but I found it so boring and my creative flair wouldn't allow it, so I starting learning graphic design on my own through practice and working in designer agencies.
    I hope your path as a graphic designer will have less sharp stones than mine. I think once you graduate, you have two directions - as an employee or a self-employed. The years spent as an employee were the easiest and less stressful for me, but self-employment gives you so much more freedom which affects your creativity too :)
    Good luck!

    Lu | www.balgarka.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not a problem! Was lovely speaking to you.
      Oh wow that does seem like a very different experience! Plus coding is sooo hard D:
      Also thank you for that last bit. I think I'll start as an employee but do a lil freelancing on the side just so I can keep working on side projects and working with awesome people that I may not get the chance to otherwise. x

      Delete
  3. Yes! I agree with this so much! I did hairdressing in college and everyone seemed to think that I was stupid and must be some blonde bimbo who knew nothing but I had the highest grades in my school and I worked several jobs whilst pursuing this career option! I hate people that judge you the second they hear something about you like your career choice!

    Right on girl. I have always wanted to look into doing this as I took it in school and got top grades. It's hard! I know and you keep doing you!

    Jacqui
    thebroughblog.weebly.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well done you! Ignore the haters :) If it still interests you, definitely have a look into even if it's just some online tutorials/classes!

      Delete
  4. Hehe I know what you mean, a lot of people have the same reaction to those who choose hairdresseing and beauty related jobs in my country, i dont know why people think it as a bad job. I wish I could do it, it must be very hard standing all day long cutting and fixing hair.

    www.brandobeauty.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah very true! It's something a lot of people rely on in all honesty, but I do know some places that maybe have a handful too many hairdressers in one location! :') x

      Delete
  5. Yes! At my college the art, design, and media department is in the same block and the computer science department, and I've constantly heard the computer students calling our part of the block the "dumb part". I got mostly B's in my GCSE's, with 1 A, 1 C and a distincition in IT. I'm not dumb. Society needs to get their head out of the "you can only be successful if you're good at academic subjects" mentality.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awh wow that's so horrible! :( And exactly! If society didn't have creativity or any subjects/courses that thrived from creativity the world would be an extremely DULL place!

      Delete

.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...