Resurrecting Creativity

Thursday, July 02, 2015

Throughout my whole Secondary school life, I had one of those experiences that made you really reevaluate what I thought of any work I created.

From 3rd year till the month of 6th year I did, most of the subjects I chose to study revolved around design or art or technology but the main killer of my creativity was one class I had always loved: Art & Design. But I think this is something a lot of people experience.

Within my time studying Art & Design at School I never really felt that I had any large skill set for doing art and I was never given the full opportunity to explore design in the way I wanted. I hadn't ever been that 'skilled' in self portraits or still life. So you can kind of guess that throughout this time I felt pretty crap about my work.

But in the time since deciding to leave school, going through College and now being in University I feel that the part of me I always doubted, the part of me that I felt wasn't skilled in any 'creative' way has been kind of resurrected.

I've discovered that being a creative person and being skilled in that way doesn't mean you can draw completely realistic self portraits. And it doesn't mean that if you draw a piece of fruit that it will look like you can pick it up and eat it. No. I've realised that being a 'creative' person it's that you can think and look at things in a different way. You look for unique ways to solve problems and ideas that haven't been done before.

And that's why the part of 'creativity' I thought I never had, I now know to cherish and relish in the experience of it. And to not let any person make me doubt myself, or my work again.

You Might Also Like

16 comments

  1. YES I couldn't agree more with what you wrote about being a creative person .. Its not about drawing perfectly but how you think of things, and put things together! Wonderful post!
    Jade x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah exactly, it's the whole being of it! And thank you :D x

      Delete
  2. I think we are all creative, we just not always know how to bring this skill to the surface

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very true! And with some instances it becomes harder to pull it to the surface so you feel like you lose it.

      Delete
  3. I am a creative person too and for me my college really killed my creativity! Ten years on I began to find my way a bit and with my blog now I am really feeling creative again. Keep it up and never let anyone make you lose it again, its a blessing being creative :) it just doesn't always seem that way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think when I got into college it really just opened my eyes to ways of working which helped respawn it and then once getting a better understanding of seeing fine art, screen printing, other printing methods etc it just cause part of me to be unleashed!
      I won't, it's something I never want to lose again!

      Delete
  4. Creativity is everywhere we just need to explore and it will surface in many ways. Lovely post! R

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true, couldn't have said it any better!

      Delete
  5. YES I completely agree, I also think our education system doesn't value creativity and therefore art isn't taught to secondary school students in a modern and inspiring way, it's very old hat and flawed.

    Sophie | www.dreamsandcolourschemes.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally agree. I feel creativity is generally pushed to the sides (until you do like advanced higher) and all they want you to work on and develop is technique so you can do everything a certain way. I get why they do that so you can draw well but it just draws out the excitement of creation.

      Delete
  6. Great post Lauren... So glad to hear that you're feeling better about your creative side! I used to always worry about not being able to draw things realistically but thankfully Art Foundation helped me get out of that mindset. Secondary school was awful for art! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Amy! Yeah that's basically the same for me too! xxx

      Delete
  7. Yes! I've always been the worst in art class, and that usually brought my self esteem down, but I've found out that creativity can be harvested in many different ways, like in the way which you mention, for example, which is to look at things in a completely different way.

    For me, my creativity manifested in different areas. One such area is in music! I'm a musician, and I find that playing music and being able to produce sound just by playing different notes on an instrument is a form of creativity which I possess.

    Loved this post! Keep on striving for creativity, Lauren, and good luck! <3

    May • THE MAYDEN

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Couldn't agree any more on everything you said. Good luck to you too <3

      Delete
  8. Sadly, the school system is set to kill creativity, when I was at school I didn't take GCSE art because it was just awful and I couldn't get inspired.

    There needs a complete over-haul of the system, but I wouldn't know where to start so that'll all I'll say on that matter, but lets just be thankful that you had the sense in yourself to push through that and be awesome, because you are lovely :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally agree but compared to other subjects I highly doubt that'll happen any time soon! The subject calls for more unique teachers who have a passion that they use to spark inside their students!

      Delete

.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...