Present VS Future

Sunday, July 19, 2015

Recently I read Lauren from DorkFeatures blog post which is all about the future. After having a little chat with her on FB and both of us basically having spoken about worries about the future I thought I would share my own thoughts of it.

In a years time, I will have turned 21 and will be (hopefully) graduating, or have already done it by this time. This thought kind of terrifies me. I have less than 365 days to complete my honours project. To experiment in Education for what is probably the last time. And then go into the 'real', big, bad, scary world!

I'm still not sure what I will be doing this time next year once I've graduated. I want to try and do the "typical, just out of Uni/in their 20's/gap year" thing which would be pretty damn amazing. But I also feel like once I've graduated I need to start looking for a job straight away otherwise I'm never going to find any type of design job.

Obviously this is very irrational, and there will definitely be some sort of job out there. Even if it's not fully focused in design. But I am now in my 20's now and there is so many expectations out there that people usually do during their 20's and some of that expectations I worry if I'll be able to do if I want to travel and I want to have an awesome job as well and have an awesome place to live!

I covered a lot of things I want to do before I turn 30 in my '30 before 30' post but to be honest that is probably only half of the things I actually want to do! Or even feel like I should do. And obviously I'm just freaking out a bit as the process of ageing has somewhat just become a bit more "real" to me now than it had done 5 years ago! It creeps me out that 5 years ago I was still in school, not even sitting my Standard Grades yet and in the next 5 years I'll probably be in some proper type of job funding myself fully! 

Okay... This is obviously a very rambly post about me being scared to hell about the future and what i may, or may not bring but everybody gets that way right? I'm not the only one here having like a quarter-mid-life crises right?! Right, so this is getting a bit much now so I'm going to leave it here. Thanks for reading if you did!

Plus points if you can tell me where the text in the image comes from! 

You Might Also Like

16 comments

  1. You're not the only one, Lauren. I'm turning 25 later this year and my graduation from Abertay felt like yesterday ha. You'll do fine in the real world. Not wanting to sound like your lecturers, but just keep your head down and focused :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This made me smile! Thank you Morag! :D

      Delete
  2. I kind of feel the same way. I'm 23 and fixing to end my time in the military, which is all I have known since I was 18 years old. I don't really know what the real world is for me.... because I've lived in a totally different world with different standards. lol. I'm sure you will be fine and find your own way!

    Love, Jenn
    thediaryofadreamer91.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh wow! Well done on you for going through and doing that. I'm sure you'll find your place in the world once you're finished too :)

      Delete
  3. I swear I'm going through a quarter life crisis at the mo!!!lol. Just appreciate every day :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Don't worry about the future, just focus on the present! Live every day as it comes by. You will do great because you're so talented and on board, but just remember as long as you're happy that's all what matters. :) xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Amy! Means a lot <3 xx

      Delete
  5. Everything will pan out, i'm sure. I think it's a good starting point to know where you'd like to go and where you don't want to be, and then the adventure is about getting there and discovering new things on the way :)

    Erin | cd

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am also 19 and i worry about the future alot , i think it is an important thing to think about the future because it is all we got right? It always surprise me how fast things change and how everything turns out different than what we think .. ❤️❤️ I loved your blog and i would love it if you checked mine too ❤️ : scatteredpiecesofwords.blogspot.com
    I also wrote a similar post a long time ago about the future so please check it out ^_^ much love ❤️❤️
    http://scatteredpiecesofwords.blogspot.com/2015/04/a-message-to-future.html?m=1

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Couldn't agree more! Also shows that you're caring and passionate about your future too! Will check it out :) x

      Delete
  7. Lauren - don't be afraid to take a gap year now if that's the calling you're feeling. I rushed straight into my career after university, and now 7 years later I am taking my gap year! Haha! You could also find short-term or temporary work, so you're still working toward your new career in some way or another! You could try a job that combines volunteering or teaching - it can help you find who you are, give you the opportunity to travel and learn about what you want your future career to be like.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for this! Gives me a lot of hope and makes me look forward to the future.

      Delete
  8. I think entering your twenties is one of the most confusing/strangest parts of your life, especially when you've just graduated. I'm 24 and finished University 3 years ago (sob) and at times I think about my life and feel about thirty and that I haven't really 'lived' them. But when I truly think about it properly, I have lived them. I went travelling to America, I enjoyed earning some OK-ish money and having a good disposable income and now Im enjoying my life living with my boyfriend and my pooch.

    My advise would be to just go with the flow. You've got your whole life to work and get the awesome job. They'll always be houses to buy and rent and jobs out there for you to get. If you want to travel, then go for it. Don't let the worries of jobs stopping you because the same old world will be here when you get back.


    Becky
    Blogger & The Geek

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for this! You have no idea how much I need this :) x

      Delete

.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...