Imitation VS Inspiration// #Cbloggers17: Day 4

Tuesday, October 10, 2017

Image created using this image downloaded via Pexels
For Day 4 of #CBloggers17 I chose a topic that seems to be an ever present and ever difficult is which is the circumstance around imitation and inspiration.

Over the years, since becoming more and more involved within the online creative world and being exposed to a variety of different creatives and content creators I have realised to the extent as to where this issue can go to. And today I wanted to share some of the things I have come across and give my lil take on it at the end.

Most recently the story that sticks in my mind is one that Phillip Defranco covered on his YouTube news show and that is the controversy and copyright issue around the internet meme; Pepe the Frog. Within this story, Phillip discuss how Pepe has, over the past year or so, been taken into a variety of different forms that the original creator, Matt Furie, has started drawing up copyright claims. The story is an interesting look at the differences of copyright and trademark, to a point where Phillip has even mentioned in a follow up PDS that many had commented on his original video that they had now learnt the difference.

Image created using this image downloaded via Pexels
I also wanted to mention the issues around the Kardashian's. Now I will admit here and say I probably have a bias in regards to them as I've never had that pull or interest to 'keep up' with the Kardashian's and although they are an incredibly smart, business orientated family, their ethics are truly questionable. But more and more this year they have come under fire for the designs they put as they've included copyright images. There's so many instances of this happening within different aspects of the family businesses that I'm not going to go into detail about it but if you want to know more, again I'd recommend checking Phillip Defranco's videos as he often covers them. What I will say though, is that the claims that the Kardashian's have come up against because of this, show that just because you have big bucks, does not mean you can get away with doing what you want.

Then the last story I wanted to speak about was actually the first big social share of a creative having their work stolen by a big company. In this case, it was from 2013 I think, when Kate Moross had one of her designs replicated by fashion retailer, Topshop. When I seen this on my twitter timeline it seemed huge and ridiculous that anybody could do this! But over the years I've seen it happen repeatedly and it just makes me sad that people spend their lives and jobs taking the hard work of another person and simply replicating it or doing a really crap copy.

So that's some stories I've heard of that relate to copyright. Have you heard of any others or been affected by it yourself? Let me know in the comments or feel free to tweet me!


Check out the communities posts:

Read my other posts from #CBloggers17

Want to join in? Get all the details in the link up! blog post.





You Might Also Like

0 comments

.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...